MISSING PERSONS INITIATIVE SLATED FOR SEPT. 14
LITTLE ROCK – Attorney General Dustin McDaniel will join with state and federal law enforcement agencies next month for the state’s second annual event intended to help Arkansans locate their missing family members and loved ones.
The “Never Forgotten: Arkansas Takes Action” missing persons initiative will be Saturday, Sept. 14, at the Clear Channel Metroplex, 10800 Col. Glenn Road, in Little Rock. The event is from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
“There are more than 450 active missing persons cases in Arkansas, and it is our goal to help to complete those cases and bring closure to the hundreds of Arkansans who do not know the whereabouts of their loved ones,” McDaniel said. “I appreciate the hard work of our law enforcement partners and their commitment to assisting the families of the missing.”
Representatives from the state Crime Lab, State Police Criminal Investigations Division, the FBI and the National Unidentified and Missing Persons System will be available to assist families as part of the missing persons initiative.
McDaniel encouraged families and loved ones of the missing to attend on Sept. 14 and bring with them as much information as possible about their missing loved ones, such as police reports, photographs and dental records. Forensic analysts will be at the event to take DNA samples.
Every service offered is free of charge.
As a result of last year’s missing persons initiative, the remains of a Crittenden County man missing for more than a decade were positively identified. Relatives of the late Tommy Lee Newingham of Earle provided DNA samples a year ago. The samples were placed in a national DNA database, and a positive match was made with remains that had been located in Memphis in 2011. McDaniel said that result demonstrates the importance of the Sept. 14 event and the need to continue efforts to locate missing persons.
Nationwide, there are nearly 90,000 active missing persons cases.